Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thankful Thursdays


Welcome to week two of Thankful Thursdays!  I would like to thank everyone who commented on the post last week.  I really enjoy reading what everyone is thankful for.  I’d also like to give special recognition to two fellow bloggers and military wives who wrote a Thankful Thursdays post on their own blog. 

Marcella at Life of a Military Family took a different approach than I did with her list.  Rather than showing gratitude for the things which are already going well and make life easier, she gave thanks for things which would be easy to complain about or could potentially get in the way of finding happiness.  I was enlightened and humbled as I read her post, remembering that it is those things we like the least which we must insist on finding the good in if we are to reach contentment.  I decided I would try to take this approach this week, at least for a few of the items on my list. 


Sarah at Dandelions and Daffodils also shared her list of gratitude through her own thankful blog post.  She shared what was a pretty scary incident which I am sure was not the least bit funny while it was happening, but the way she wrote it made it seem as though it is something she could laugh about after the fact. I enjoyed reading the humor in her tone and appreciated the laugh.  Sometimes the things we are thankful for the most are just a few simple things that help us get through a frightening situation.  
This week I feel refreshed by the beginning of a new month and the excitement surrounded by this time of year.  But I am also remembering, remembering my old house and missing the comfort I felt there, remembering our dog and wishing he could be here with us, and remembering what it was like to be a kid as I watch my daughter struggle to adjust to a long school day.  I long for a feeling of consistency and not of change.  Yet my heart is filled with gratitude for these things.

This week I am thankful for:
1.       Happy memories.  Sometimes longing hurts, but it is a reminder of the blessings in my life and the reassurance that it is a life well-lived.  
2.       A new season with new opportunities to spend time as a family.
3.       Change.  I struggle to adapt, but I know that it is making me a stronger person and will have meaning someday.  
4.       Living in a place that is not my favorite (although it is not terrible) because it helps me narrow down the areas in which I want to settle for good someday.
5.       Faith.  Through faith, I am confident that God is guiding me even when I struggle.
6.       Early mornings.  For the first time in years, I have to set a daily alarm.  It is not fun, but once the coffee hits me I am happy to have the extra time in my day.
7.       The soldiers who have fought and continue to fight for this country.
8.       The ability to understand the importance of our Presidential election, the knowledge to make an informed decision, and the right to vote.
9.       My husband’s willingness to help when he gets home and the dishes still aren’t done or the laundry isn’t folded. 
10.   How my kids love to dance and sing.



Click here to grab the Thankful Thursdays button.

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for piano music playing in a quiet house, changing seasons, the provision of being able to replace what seems like everything in the house that has broken in the last 3 months (ugh!)and long distance friendships :) Miss you shopping buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Thankful Thursday :) I am so thankful that our dear head coach is being aggressively treated for leukemia, and that he has a strong support system around him. I am also thankful that we beat Green Bay yesterday :) Oh, so very thankful!

    ReplyDelete