Thursday, October 4, 2012

31 Days of Peace, Day 4

Embracing the Years

 
Have you ever had those moments upon waking in the morning where a strange thought pops into your head and you have no idea where it came from?  This happened to me today.  Out of the blue, I realized that I am more than half-way through my 30th year and in a few short months will turn 31.  Being the big 3-0 doesn’t bother me, and actually I rather enjoy it.  But I think I have been putting so much emphasis in my mind on the milestone number that I forgot that it only lasts for one year.  As I shook the cobwebs out of my tired mind and fully awakened from my slumber, I remembered the promise I made with myself long ago.

When I was young, I didn’t understand why people complained about their age.  The way I saw it, they should’ve been happier for the years they had been given and the wisdom they had gained.  I did not see laugh lines merely as wrinkles, but as a sign of much laughter and smiles.  I promised myself back then that I would never complain about my age.  I have almost kept that promise, as I can’t deny the short period of time when I was 29 that I had anxiety about turning 30.  But I soon got my head out of the gutter and fully embraced my years.  The truth is, sadly, that far too many people never have the chance to grow old.

Now, when I see the fine lines around my eyes, I am reminded of the life I have been given.  When I notice that my hands don’t look as youthful as they used to, I think about all the things they have helped me accomplish.  I continue my promise to myself to not complain about my age, but truly celebrate it as one of life’s greatest blessings.  Come February when I turn 31, and every year after that, I vow to thank God for another year and have a heart filled with peace. 

Click here to view all posts in the 31 Days of Peace series.

Click here to read what others are writing about for 31 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment