Tuesday, October 23, 2012

31 Days of Peace, Day 23



How a Road Helps Me Find Peace

“It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.” –Charles Haddon Spurgeon
There is a road on the way to taking my son to and from preschool that delights me every time I drive it. It is a hilly, winding road that reminds me of the back roads from home, the ones I would drive with my little 4-cylinder stick-shift car, feeling high as a kite and free as a bird. My heart was so content.
 Now, I drive this road with my big, automatic, kid-towing SUV, always a little frazzled about something as I first turn onto what my son calls “the road with the funny hills.” But as I continue on, I am overcome with peace by the beauty that engulfs this slight stretch of road, with the branches of the trees arching overhead and the leaves turning more colorful each day. I pretend I am in that small, peppy car again, hugging the corners of the turns and giving a little extra gas at the bottom of the hill so I can get to the top with more enthusiasm. But I must use extra caution with this big car, not only because the extra weight makes it less agile, but also because of the precious cargo sitting behind me.
Still, for a few short seconds, I am home again, reminiscing in the bliss of that feeling of freedom and rejoicing in the wondrous beauty around me. For a few short seconds, I am taken away from the hectic, frazzled life and am reconnected with the contentment I felt as I drove those back roads so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment