Tuesday, October 30, 2012

31 Days of Peace, day 30


A Few Thing I Have Learned from Sandy
 

1.       Things will not always go the way we plan them to.  Every life has its share of storms. There eventually comes a time where we must accept our lot, batten down the hatches, and simply wait. The rest is in God’s hands.

2.       Appreciation for my husband. There have been two other instances in which I had to prepare for a hurricane without his help and without the comfort of his presence at home with us. This time, I was thankful for his help when we secured the house and made extra trips to the store for emergency supplies. And when the wind was howling loudly outside the windows, I was ever so thankful that he was home.

3.       To think of a storm like this as a family adventure, as something we experience together that will carry with us for the rest of our lives, and as an opportunity to spend quality time together. After careful consideration, my husband and I decided we should all go along when we made the trip to the grocery store for supplies. We got what we needed, but we also walked out with a box of chocolate covered pretzels and a huge tub of cheeseballs. What’s an adventure without the little extras that make us smile?

4.       How to slow down. Usually when we are all home, I feel guilty if I don’t get the kids outside to run around or take time for myself to exercise. But since going outside was not an option, I used it as an opportunity to simply relax. I allowed myself to not feel guilty if we cuddled up and watched movies or if the kids played games on our phones while I surfed the internet. I was reminded that sometimes it is okay to have a lazy, unproductive day, especially when the end result meant finally finding some much needed relaxation.

5. Not to complain, be thankful, and remember to pray for those who's storm is much worse.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment