Thursday, October 25, 2012

31 Days of Peace, Day 25


Thankful Thursdays: Thankful to God


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)

"With thanksgiving." How easy it is to tell God about our troubles and ask Him to answer our prayers while forgetting to be thankful. I can't speak for everyone, but I myself do not feel particularly enthusiastic about doing things for my kids when I don't feel appreciated it. Imagine how God feels when we demand his power in our lives, but forget to thank Him for the blessings He has given. How could we possibly find peace without first being grateful? Fortunately, He is a forgiving God, but that doesn't mean we should take Him for granted.
This week, I am thankful to God for:
1.       My husband and kids. When I was younger I prayed simply to find love. I have been blessed with a husband who loves me unconditionally and two children who know what it is to give and receive love.
2.       The path my life has taken. In the grand scheme of things, my time as a military wife has only just begun. But already I have grown in strength, spirit, and faith and have learned the virtue of perseverance.
3.       Humility. He has shown me that I am not above anyone, but there is something to learn from everyone. Everybody deserves to be treated with the same kindness and respect with which I would like to be treated.
4.       His understanding. Try as I might, I continue to fail at my attempts to improve in certain areas. But He knows what’s in my heart and I trust He will guide me to where I need to be.
5.       Friendships, old and new, which continue to last even when we are far apart.
6.       Food, water, clothing, shelter. These are easy to take for granted, but so greatly desired by far too many.
7.       Good health. This is something that is guaranteed to no one. I feel incredibly blessed to have a healthy family.
8.       The strength to help pull myself back up when I struggle.
9.       Creating me with a positive mind and an inspired soul.
10.   Opportunities to learn and be encouraged by others. Click here to read about my evening with the Commandant’s wife. God always seems to know how to help me find a little more peace.


What are you thankful to God for?

No comments:

Post a Comment