Monday, May 6, 2013

Military Appreciation Month: A Letter to the Heroes


Source: Time.com
Dear American Soldier,

Thank you is not nearly enough to say for all that you do, yet I will say it anyway. Thank you. Thank you for being brave. Thank you for believing in our country. Thank you for your fighting for freedom. Thank you for providing a place for us to feel safe when we go to sleep at night.
You didn’t have to choose this. You didn’t have to sign up for a life which would put your country first above everything. You didn’t have to choose a career which would put your life on the line for the sake of the rest of us. But the fact that you did is remarkable. To me, this is the most honorable and heroic choice anyone can make: selfless dedication to protecting our country and what it stands for.
More and more I see our society glorifying all the wrong things—reality TV shows which highlight lifestyles that are foolish and lacking in moral values; pro-sports players who commit crimes yet are still allowed to play the game; celebrity gossip; Hollywood legends who live or have lived lives of drug abuse and alcoholism—just to name a few. But you, you who must be separated from your family for many months at a time, you who must endure hours upon hours of training to ultimately prepare yourself for battle, you who have seen the darkest depths of war, are the one who truly deserve the glory.
I am just one person in a very big nation, but I want you to know that when I think about America’s soldiers, I see courage. I see men and women standing tall and dedicating their lives to protect our land. I see a work ethic above and beyond anyone else’s reach. I see the pride that brings you together as brothers and sisters, yet the humility of knowing that you are working towards something so much bigger than yourselves. I see the vulnerability of your hearts when you must mourn those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice, but I also see the immense strength you have to pick yourselves back up and fight even harder in honor of the fallen. When I think about you, I see the ultimate heroes.
As America celebrates Military Appreciation Month, I again thank you for your service. The hard work and dedication you give to the United States of America is priceless. May you forever be known for your bravery and loyalty and may God bless you in your journey as one of America’s finest. 

With Greatest Regards,
A Proud Military Wife

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written. I absolutely love this letter. All your posts are so well written and touching.

    ReplyDelete